5 EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE WAYS TO REDUCE ALMOST 10KG WEIGHT IN RAMADAN 2022
Ramadan Kareem is one of the most blessed months in the Islamic calendar. It is generally during this month that you will find Muslims on their best behavior and trying to worship more. But, it is also this exact month that some people target to lose a few kilos here and there. The rationale is that in Ramadan, the fast lasts for long hours so the kind of food you eat and the activity you pursue can help your aim.
Below are 5 effective and affordable ways to reduce almost 10kgs this Ramadan.
1. A light sehri and a light iftari
Since we know that we will be fasting the whole day, we tend to stuff ourselves during sehri and during iftari. We munch on snacks, junk food and processed food from iftari to sehri, while we prefer to consume oily food during iftari. Both these habits cause us to over-indulge in food and consume more calories than our body needs. The first and foremost effective and long-lasting way to reduce weight is to take a close look at our meals during this time.
Meals to consume for sehri
You can eat the following foods during sehri to keep yourself full, healthy and in-proportion. The following food items in sehri will help you lose your weight if you are consistent.
- Boiled egg
- A bowl of oatmeal with fruits or nuts
- Whole grain bread instead of white bread
- Yogurt or milk; the low-fat version
- The most important is to hydrate, hydrate and hydrate.
Meals to consume for iftar
When breaking our fast we generally feel very hungry and thirsty hence we eat every unhealthy option available to satiate our desires. This in-turn leads to weight gain. Follow the below instructions to avoid gaining weight due to iftar
- Have a light and balanced iftar
- Break your fast with a date and a glass of water
- AVOID sugary drinks
- Have a bowl of fruit chaat or chana chaat
- Grilled, air-fried or boiled chicken or vegetables
- Food with minimum oil consumption
- Skip the fried food
- A salad is a great dish to keep you satiated and help in losing the extra weight
- Avoid refined and processed carbohydrates
2. Light Exercise
One of the reason people gain weight is because they stop exercising during this month. Although, it is difficult to exercise at high intensity and for long hours yet to completely sit idle leads to more weight gain. It is advisable to move around and perform light exercises preferably after isha. After Isha you have enough calories to pull through the exercise regime and the permission to hydrate properly.
- A brisk walk or jog for 30 minutes will help burn the extra calories
- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is one of your best options and most effective options to lose weight. All you need to do is focus on quick high intensity exercises for 50-60 seconds with a 30 sec interval between each set. The only disadvantage is that HIIT takes a lot of energy and strength, so if it is something you have not done before, you should try LIIT.
- LIIT (Low Intensity Interval Training) perfect for both genders. You need to elevate your heartrate with light intensity cardio. You can follow YouTube tutorials online at home and build strength while losing weight.
Keeping yourself active throughout the month is necessary.
Drinking adequate amount of water is crucial to losing weight. If your water intake is less than optimal, your liver will metabolize fat less and focus on proper functioning of kidneys. You need to re-hydrate as soon as possible after iftar. Water is the key ingredient for all the bodily functions to occur normally.
- Try to drink 2-3 liters of water between iftar and suhoor.
- Breaking your fast with a watermelon is also a good option
- Aim to avoid carbonated drinks and rather consume water
- Caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee do not count as water, it is best to avoid them
Water is usually the last thing in the mind of most people yet it is the most basic and most effective way to lose weight naturally.
4. Plan your meals
Staying on track while dieting is hard hence it is best to plan your meals beforehand. Meals prepping helps you stay focused and reduce the chances of impulse buying of processed and sugary food.
If you are considering losing weight and are hesitant and confused on where to start, you can follow diet plans made by an incredible woman, Moomal Asif. She customizes diet plans according to your needs and body weight. She also has some free plans for you to follow to lose weight. Additionally, she keeps check and balance on your progress. So this is a good way to start. You can visit her website or contact her for personalized plans and help in losing weight. https://www.moomalasif.com/
If you are someone who needs motivation and consistency, you can also join her facebook group by the name, Peace, Mind and Body (PMB). In this regard you can easily pre-plan your meals and lose weight while staying motivated and persistent.
5. Avoid Processed Food
The most crucial aspect to gaining weight is the heavily oily food that is cooked in almost all households. It is a ritual to serve pakoras and samosas during iftar. Since, you have been fasting the whole day, breaking your fast with these is a bad idea. Too much oil consumption can lead to health issues which eventually result in weight gain. Also, the urge to order processed food and consume it in bulk increases, it is best to avoid this urge to lose weight.
Desserts, sugary drinks and processed food have no benefit when it comes to losing weight. Avoiding these and replacing these with fruits or natural sweeteners like honey is a good option. As a result of cutting down on your urge to consume sugar and oily food, it can help in regulating body fluctuations and limiting calorie intake. To lose weight, you need to avoid these as all such food items are packed with salt, sugar and fat. Consuming this on a daily basis will void your efforts.
If you fully follow and cut down on health harming food groups, you can easily lose 10 kgs in this Ramadan. Taking a proper sehri and iftar, planning your meals, staying hydrated, engaging in light activity and avoiding processed, oily and sugary food items, you can lose weight and appear fit and slim for this Eid.